Director of DevelopmentCompany: Lake Junaluska Conference & Retreat Center
Date Posted: April 5, 2018
- Provide visionary, strategic and operational leadership for all fundraising activities.
- Lead the annual fund, major gifts, and planned giving efforts, including strategies for the cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of individual, foundation and corporate gifts, focusing on ways to move donors to greater engagement and support to secure appropriate funding for ongoing programs, capital projects and endowments.
- Initiate and assist in the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of an ambitious, diversified, written development plan, to include, goals, action plans, budget and calendar of activities. Including special event campaigns.
- Manage a portfolio of 30-45 major gift donors/prospects for in-person solicitation, mailings, emails, presentations and online giving efforts.
- Manage planned giving endowment and legacy programs, including gifts made through bequests, trusts, charitable gift annuities, and other planned giving vehicles.
- Possess a strong understanding of giving opportunities for donors such as; stock gifts, real estate, vehicles, pledges, etc.
- Provide leadership to the daily operations of the department, staff and volunteers. Create a supportive, collaborative, productive, healthy work environment based on respect, teamwork and clear expectations and responsibilities.
- Develop, lead and guide the department’s annual budget.
- Collaborate with the marketing department to ensure the development and marketing materials for print and social media have a unified and consistent message and look, and they tell stories of value about Lake Junaluska’s good work. This includes, but not limited to, fundraising materials, articles in magazine, annual reports, newsletters, web pages, presentations and proposals.
- Serves as an active member of the Junaluska Associates Council and the Lake Junaluska Singers Alumni Board. Support the creation of subcommittees or special task force as needed.
- Works closely with Board of Trustee members and serve as the primary liaison with the advancement committee.
- Participate in Lake Junaluska’s Leadership Team, which meets monthly to discuss organizational objectives, outcomes and challenges. The Director of Development will also serve as a regular contributors to the Executive Team regarding the strategic issues for Lake Junaluska.
- Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures and report any unsafe activities or conditions immediately to supervisor or the Human Resources department.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned and required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- A Bachelor’s degree required, higher degree preferred.
- Strong background in Christian hospitality, and thorough knowledge of the United Methodist structure preferred.
- Must possess excellent hospitality skills and a strong desire to foster an attitude of Christian hospitality to “exceed guest expectations”.
- 3-5 years of progressive fundraising experience and program management with a proven record of success achieving or exceeding ambitious revenue targets.
- Exemplary strategic thinking, proactivity, prioritization, development and use of effective operational systems, project and team management.
- Comprehensive management skills and experience, including short and long-term planning and evaluation, oral and written communication, marketing and financial managements, organizational behavior, development, and governance.
- Effective leadership, team building and development through coaching, supporting, and motivating staff.
- Excellent planning, organizational, goal oriented with the ability to set and meet deadlines.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge and experience in the nature and dimensions of philanthropy, ethics, motivations for giving and volunteering, research and cultivation practices, standards fundraising techniques, including face-to-face solicitation, proposal writing, special events, telephone solicitation, and direct mail.
- Demonstrates integrity, diplomacy and treats colleagues, donors and volunteers with respect.
- Maintains confidentiality, placing the organizational needs ahead of personal ambition.
- Excellent listener who engages and develops rapport quickly with the ability to build long-term relationships with a wide range of constituents.
- Skilled in a full range of fundraising activities including annual, major and planned giving, sponsorships, grants, special events and capital gifts.
- Flexible and adaptable work style with the ability to work nights and weekends, and/or travel when necessary.
- Computer skills required, with experience in Raiser’s Edge fundraising database preferred.
- Be punctual to work and other related functions.
- Perform well in a team environment.
- Complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner.
- Ability to prioritize daily tasks and events.
- Ability to motivate volunteers and maximize their involvement in fundraising efforts.
- Perform routine duties with minimal supervision.
- Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
- Strives for excellence in all tasks and duties and foster an attitude of “exceeding guest expectations”.
- Able to work independently but operate within LJA policy guidelines using independent judgment.
- Light to moderate physical activity performing non-strenuous administrative type work
- Well-lighted, heated and/or air-conditioned indoor office setting with adequate ventilation with quiet to moderate noise
- Physical demands: able to lift up to 25 pounds, manual dexterity sufficient to reach/handle items
- Works with the fingers and perceives attributes of objects and materials
- Climb, balance, stoop, kneel; frequently moves about, able to stand, walk, and sit for extended periods
- At times, be outdoors in all weather conditions
- Vision: must be able to see close, have good vision to perform daily duties
- Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, nights, weekend, holiday, and travel as required.
Equal Opportunity Employer